Vasiliy Lomachenko was born on 17 February 198 is a Ukrainian professional boxer. He has held multiple world championships in three weight classes from featherweight to lightweight, including unified and lineal titles at lightweight.
Lomachenko is one of the most successful amateur boxers of all time, with a record of 396 wins and 1 loss, which was avenged twice. Competing in featherweight and lightweight, he won silver at the 2007 World Championships, gold at the 2008 European Championships, back-to-back golds at the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, and gold at the 2009 and 2011 World Championships.
Vasiliy Lomachenko Career
At the 2007 World Championships in Chicago, he won silver by beating Abner Cotto in the first round, Theodoros Papazov, Mikhail Bernadski, Arturo Santos Reyes, and Li Yang in the semifinal to reach fellow southpaw and Russian favorite Albert Selimov, to whom he lost 11–16.
He won gold at the 2009 World Championships in Milan. He then competed in the lightweight division at the 2011 World Championships in Baku after dropping to the AIBA featherweight division. There he won his second consecutive gold medal to become a two-weight world champion.
After switching to lightweight, Pako won a second straight Olympic gold at the 2012 London Olympics to become a rare two-weight Olympic champion. He beat South Korea’s Han Soon-Chul 19-9 in the final and was a strong contender to win the Val Barker Trophy for a second time, which would have been unprecedented in history. In the end, he defeated Serik Sapiev of Kazakhstan, who won the middleweight gold medal.
In November 2017, boxing website The Sweet Science conducted a reader poll over several weeks to determine the majority of the public’s opinion of the greatest amateur boxer of all time. Besides Lomachenko, five other finalists were chosen: László Papp, Teófilo Stevenson, Félix Savón, Mark Breland and Guillermo Rigondeaux.
With his exceptional boxing skills, impressive record and relentless excellence, Vasili Lomachenko has undoubtedly left an indelible mark on the sport. His fights not only entertained fans, but also inspired a new generation of boxers to strive for greatness. As he continues his career, expectations for Lomachenko’s next bout are high, as fans eagerly await his return to the ring to witness his exceptional skills once again.
Lomachenko vs. Haney
On 29 March 2023, it was confirmed that Lomachenko would take on undisputed lightweight champion Devin Haney on 20 May 2023 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Paradise, Nevada, U.S.
Devin Haney vs. Vasiliy Lomachenko prediction, odds, time: Boxing expert on 40-11 roll makes May 20 picks
Boxing expert Peter Kahn just locked in his Devin Haney vs. Vasiliy Lomachenko picks and best bets for the Saturday fight in Las Vegas
In what could be a career-defining fight for both fighters, Devin Haney will put his unified lightweight title on the line against former reigning champion Vasili Lomachenko in a 12-round main event on Saturday. The highly anticipated showdown anchors the pay-per-view main event Haney vs. Lomachenko fight card (10:00 p.m. ET) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Haney is the -310 favorite (risk $310 to win $100), while Lomachenko comes back at +250 in the latest Haney vs Lomachenko odds from Caesars Sportsbook. The over/under for total rounds finished is 10.5 (Over -600, Under +400). Before locking in any Haney vs. Lomachenko picks, make sure you check out the boxing predictions and betting advice from SportsLine analyst Peter Kahn.
He won several media awards during his career. He was named prospect of the year by Ring magazine and ESPN in 2013; CBS Sports named him Boxer of the Year in 2016; HBO Sports named him the best boxer of 2016 and 2017; and was named 2017 Fighter of the Year by the Boxing Writers Association of America and The Ring.
Professional boxing record
|19 fights||17 wins||2 losses|
Lomachenko is known for his exceptional footwork, head movement, speed, and ability to switch stances. Lomachenko’s inspirations include Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, and Roy Jones Jr.
Vasiliy Lomachenko Family
Born on February 17, 1988 in Bilhorod-Dnistrovsk, Ukraine, Vasili Lomachenko comes from a family with strong ties to the world of boxing. His father Anatoli Lomachenko played a key role in shaping his boxing career. Anatoli, himself a former boxer, became Vassil’s coach and mentor, instilling in him a deep passion for the sport from a young age. The Lomachenko family’s dedication to boxing goes even deeper, as Vasili’s younger brother Anton Lomachenko is also a professional boxer. This unified family dynamic created an environment of constant support and friendship that led to Vasili Lomachenko’s extraordinary success in the world of boxing.
Lomachenko is married to Olena, and they have two children. As of 2019 (and since at least 2016), he lives in Camarillo, California and trains in nearby Oxnard, just north of Los Angeles.
Vasiliy Lomachenko Net Worth
|Net Worth||$10 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Boxing Fights, Endorsements|
|Salary||$5 million (Last Fight purse)|
|Residence||Oxnard, California, USA|
|Last Updated||May 2023|
- Defeated Abner Cotto (Puerto Rico) 26–9
- Defeated Theodoros Papazov (Greece) 19–5
- Defeated Mikhail Bernadski (Belarus) 21–6
- Defeated Arturo Santos Reyes (Mexico) RSCO 3 (0:25)
- Defeated Li Yang (China) 14–13
- Lost to Albert Selimov (Russia) 11–16
- Defeated Mario Aleksić (Bosnia and Herzegovina) 16–2
- Defeated Craig Evans (Wales) 15–1
- Defeated Branimir Stanković (Serbia) 8–2
- Defeated Óscar Valdez (Mexico) 12–1
- Defeated Sergey Vodopyanov (Russia) 12–1
Vasiliy Lomachenko Physical Stats
Vasiliy Lomachenko possesses a unique combination of physical attributes that contribute to his exceptional boxing skills. Standing at a height of 5 feet 7 inches (1.70 meters), he competes in various weight divisions, showcasing his versatility and adaptability. With a reach of approximately 65.5 inches (166 cm), Lomachenko effectively utilizes his long arms to maintain distance and deliver precise punches.
Vasiliy Lomachenko’s House
Vasiliy Lomachenko resides in a spacious residence located in Odesa, Ukraine, together with his entire family. Prior to acquiring this house, he used to reside in a rented home in California. Unfortunately, the specific value of his Odesa residence is not publicly disclosed.
Lomachenko has a fondness for cars and has built an impressive collection. Among the vehicles he owns are a Toyota Land Cruiser, various models from Mercedes Benz including the GLE and G-Class, as well as a BMW X5. The specifics of his car collection beyond these mentioned models are not widely known.
Know Some Interesting Facts About Lomachenko
- Amateur Prowess: Before turning professional, Lomachenko had an extraordinary amateur career. He amassed an astonishing record of 396 wins and only one loss, making him one of the most decorated amateur boxers in history.
- Olympic Gold Medalist: Lomachenko won gold medals in the featherweight division at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the lightweight division at the 2012 London Olympics. His technical brilliance and dominance in the amateur ranks were evident in these impressive victories.
- Fastest to World Titles: Lomachenko achieved the feat of becoming a world champion in the fewest number of professional fights. He won his first world title, the WBO Featherweight championship, in only his third professional bout, setting a new record for the fastest ascent to a world title.
- Training Techniques: Lomachenko is known for his unique training methods. His father and coach, Anatoly Lomachenko, implemented unconventional drills such as juggling, tennis ball catching, and dancing to improve footwork, coordination, and reaction time.
- Historic Three-Weight World Champion: Lomachenko made history by becoming a three-weight world champion in just his twelfth professional fight. This accomplishment surpassed the previous record held by Jeff Fenech, cementing Lomachenko’s status as one of boxing’s all-time greats.
- Professional Pound-for-Pound Rankings: Lomachenko has consistently been ranked among the top pound-for-pound boxers in the world. His exceptional skills and achievements have earned him widespread recognition as one of the best fighters across all weight divisions.
- Ukrainian Sporting Icon: Lomachenko is a highly regarded sports figure in his home country of Ukraine. His success in boxing has elevated him to the status of a national hero, inspiring aspiring boxers and earning admiration from fans worldwide.
- Multilingual Talent: Lomachenko is fluent in multiple languages, including English, Ukrainian, and Russian. His ability to communicate effectively with fans and media from various countries has contributed to his global appeal.
- Versatile Style: Lomachenko’s boxing style is often described as a combination of artistry and technical brilliance. He seamlessly transitions between offensive and defensive maneuvers, employing angles, footwork, and precise punch placement to outclass his opponents.
- Sportsmanship and Respect: Lomachenko is widely respected for his sportsmanship and humility. Win or lose, he consistently displays respect and appreciation for his opponents and the sport of boxing, earning him admiration and support from fans worldwide.
Read Also: Israel Adesanya Biography