Pratibha Singh was born 16 June 1956 is an Indian politician from Himachal Pradesh. She is a 66-year-old Congress Leader.
Pratibha Singh Personal Life
She is the widow of Virbhadra Singh, who had been a six-time Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh. She represents the Mandi constituency of Himachal Pradesh and is a member of the Indian National Congress.
She was always interested in social work. After getting married to Virbhadra Singh, she entered the political world to serve the country. She has been the vice-chairperson of H.P. State Red Cross Society from 1985 to 1990, 1994 to 1998, and in 2003.
Pratibha Singh Political career
She has been a member of State Women Empowerment Board since 2003; State Planning Board since 2003; and Central Advisory Education Board since 2004. Pratibha Singh gained a seat in the Lok Sabha which is the lower house of the Parliament of India in the Indian general elections of 2004 by defeating Maheshwar Singh. In the 2013 (By Poll) elections, she was again elected from the same seat.
Pratibha Singh is one of the leading candidates to become the next chief minister. She represents the Mandi constituency in parliament. Singh is the wife of the late Virbhadra Singh, the six-time chief minister of Himachal Pradesh. She is also the president of the Himachal Congress. Her son Vikramaditya Singh also won his seat at Shimla Rural for the second straight time.
Pratibha Singh Education
She studied at the Loreto Convent Tara Hall, Shimla, and graduated from the Government College for Women, Chandigarh. She first won her LS seat in 2004 from Mandi. In 2009, she gave up her seat for her husband. She won the seat again in the 2013 in the bye-elections and has managed to hold on to it since then.
Pratibha Singh & Virbhadra Singh Son
Her son, Vikramaditya Singh, has served as the President of HP State Youth Congress. He also won his MLA seat 2022 at Shimla Rural for the second straight time.
Himachal’s election 2022: Pratibha Singh Could Be the Next CM
In the Himachal Pradesh State Legislative Assembly, the Indian National Congress secured 40 seats, crossing the majority mark of 35 seats. As a Congress government is almost certain to take power in the state, speculation about potential chief ministerial candidates is already rife.
Virbhadra Singh might not have been physically present, but people voted because of his legacy, his family members, and posters. She told reporters today (December 8) after Congress won the state elections that Virbhadra’s single objective was to ensure all-round development of Himachal.
In 2009, she gave up her seat for her husband. She won the seat again in the 2013 in the bye-elections and has managed to hold on to it since then. A member on the Committee on Education, Women, Children, Youth and Sports, Singh has also worked on various social causes for women and orphans.
If chosen as the chief minister, Singh will have to resign from her position in the Lok Sabha and get elected to the Himachal Pradesh Vidhan Sabha within six months.
Some Interesting Facts About Pratibha Singh
- She is the second wife of Virbhadra Singh; who is the longest-serving (6 times) Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh.
- She was always interested in social work. After getting married to Virbhadra Singh, she entered the political world to serve the country.
- In 2004, she elected for the first time in the Indian general elections and gained a seat in the Indian Parliament.
- She has been the vice-chairperson of H.P. State Red Cross Society from 1985 to 1990, 1994 to 1998, and in 2003.
- She has been a part of many sports promotion events, especially in rural areas.
- She is associated with several organizations for orphan children and destitute women. She also runs crèches.
- She has been a member of State Women Empowerment Board since 2003; State Planning Board since 2003; and Central Advisory Education Board since 2004.
|Famous For||Being the Wife of Virbhadra Singh|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress|
|Political Journey||• In 2004 Indian general elections, she became a member of the 14th Lok Sabha, after defeating BJP contender, Maheshwar Singh.|
• In 2013 elections, she again elected for the same and won.
|Date of Birth||16 July 1956|
|Age (as in 2018)||62 Years|
|Birthplace||Shimla, Himachal Pradesh|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Cancer|
|Hometown||Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India|
|School||Loreto Convent Tara Hall, Shimla|
|College||Govt. College for Women, Chandigarh|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Arts|
|Address||Holly Lodge, Jakhu,|
Shimla – 171 001(Himachal Pradesh)
|Hobbies||Reading, Gardening, Social Work|
|Controversies||• In 2013, she was involved in a controversy for giving incorrect information regarding election expenditure.|
• In 2016, The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) filed a charge sheet against Pratibha Singh and her husband, Virbhadra Singh, in connection with a disproportionate assets case.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||28 November 1985|
|Husband/Spouse||Virbhadra Singh (Politician)|
|Children||Son– Vikramaditya Singh (Politician)|
Daughter– Aparajita Singh
|Parents||Father-Late Hitendra Sen|
Mother-Late Shanta Devi
|Cars Collection||Toyota, No-HP26A0005, Innova, No-HP29A0005|
• Cash- ₹1.5 Lakh
• Deposits in Banks & Non-Banking Companies- ₹10 Crore
• Bonds, Debentures and Shares in companies- ₹2 Lakh
• LIC or other Insurance Policies- ₹5 Crore
• Jewellery- ₹97 LakhImmovable:
• Agricultural Land worth ₹85 Lakh
• Non Agricultural Land worth ₹18.5 Crore
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹36 Crore (as of 2014)|
Read Also –