Nick Nurse is an American professional basketball coach and former player who most recently served as the head coach of the Toronto Raptors of the National Basketball Association. He led the Raptors to the NBA Championship in 2019 and was named NBA Coach of the Year in 2020.
Full Name-Nicholas David Nurse
Born- 24 July 1967
Birthplace-Carroll, Iowa, United States
Teams coached-Toronto Raptors (Head coach, 2018–2023), Iowa Wolves (Head coach, 2007–2011)
Nick Nurse’s parents are Marcella Nurse and Maury Nurse. Marcella was a teacher and Maury worked for the US Postal Service. Marcella and Maury have nine children, three daughters and six sons. Nick’s father, Maury, introduced him to basketball and trained him in Little League Basketball. In December 2018, Nurse’s mother Marcella died.
Nick Nurse’s wife, Roberta Nurse, is a former assistant volleyball coach at Winthrop University. Nick and Roberta first met in 2012.
The couple share a passion for sports, as Roberta is a former volleyball player and Nick is a former basketball player. After the end of their playing careers, they both embarked on a coaching journey.
Nick Nurse and his wife, Roberta, have two sons, Leo and Rocky Levi. He also has a nephew named David, who previously worked with the Brooklyn Nets before becoming a personal trainer for professional players.
Nick Nurse is an American basketball coach who works as an assistant coach for the Toronto Raptors. Nick has been coaching in Europe for 12 years, mainly in the British Basketball League (BBL). He was named BBL Coach of the Year in 1999–00 and 2003–04. He accepted the head coaching position with the Energy, who were preparing for their inaugural NBA D-League season in 2007. Under Nurse, the Energy won division crowns in 2008–09 and 2009–10. In April 2010, after three seasons with the team, Nurse agreed to join the Iowa State Cyclones coaching staff as an assistant head coach. Shortly after, Cyclones head coach Greg McDermott was named head coach at Creighton and Nurse returned to his previous role with the Energy.
Nick Nurse is the head coach of the Toronto Raptors of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Nick is also the head coach of the Canadian Men’s National Team. He also became the head coach at the age of 23. Then he was hired by Grand View University in Iowa. Nick was once the youngest basketball coach in the country. In addition, Nick spent more than ten years as a coach in Europe. During that time, he managed teams such as London Towers and Manchester Giants. In 2011, Nick was also named NBA D-League Coach of the Year. Nick was a player before becoming a coach. Nick was a member of the University of Northern Iowa football team from 1985-1989. During his college career, Nick played in 111 games.
Also, Nick was the only assistant coach during the winning season of the varsity team in 1989-1990. That was in his final season at Northern Iowa. After graduating from university, Nick became a player-coach for the Derby Rams of the British Basketball League. That was for the 1990-1991 campaign. Nick did not play professionally again after that season. Instead, he chose the full-time coaching profession.
- In 1990–1991 Derby Rams
- In 1989–1990 Northern Iowa (assistant)
- In 1990–1991 Derby Rams (player-coach)
- In 1991–1993 Grand View
- In 1993–1995 South Dakota (assistant)
- In 1995–1997 Birmingham Bullets
- In 1998 Telindus Oostende
- In 1998–2000 Manchester Giants
- In 2000–2001 London Towers
- In 2001 Oklahoma Storm (assistant)
- In 2001–2006 Brighton Bears
- In 2005 Oklahoma Storm (assistant)
- In 2007–2011 Iowa Energy
- In 2011–2013 Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- In 2013–2018 Toronto Raptors (assistant)
- In 2018–2023 Toronto Raptors
Nick achieves the following awards as a coach.
As head coach:
- NBA champion (2019)
- NBA Coach of the Year (2020)
- NBA All-Star Game head coach (2020)
- 2× NBA D-League champion (2011, 2013)
- NBA D-League Coach of the Year (2011)
- 2× BBL champion (1996, 2000)
- 2× BBL Coach of the Year (2000, 2004)
- 4× BBL All-Star Game head coach (1995,1997, 1999, 2001)
- English Cup winner (2003)
- Uni-Ball Trophy winner (1999)
- Belgian Cup winner (1998)
- Belgian Super cup winner (1998)
Net Worth 2023
Net Worth: $70 Million
Salary: $6 Million +
Monthly Income: $0.4 Million +
Latest News About Nick Nurse
According to ESPN’S Adrian Wojnarowski, the Philadelphia 76ers have hired Nick Nurse as their new head coach.
Nick Nurse has reached an agreement to become the next coach of the Philadelphia 76ers. Nurse — who won an NBA championship and a coach of the year award with Toronto — now gets to coach the 2023 MVP Joel Embiid.
Some special facts about Nick Nurse are following.
- Nick Nurse is the school’s all-time 3-point percentage leader.
- Nick Nurse later spent 11 seasons coaching in Europe, mostly in the British Basketball League.
- On June 20, 2019, Nick Nurse joined Hamilton-based rock band Arkells at their sold-out Toronto concert to perform a cover of Stevie Wonder’s hit song “Signed, Sealed, Delivered “on guitar.
- Nick Nurse is a big fan of the late Prince and was the master of ceremonies at the New Power Generation show in Toronto on 07/26/2022.
- In May 2022, after completing his dissertation and comprehensive exam, Nick Nurse graduated from Concordia University, Chicago.