Dané van Niekerk was born 14 May 1993 is a South African cricketer born in Pretoria and educated at Hoërskool Centurion. A leg spin bowler, she has appearances in Test, One-Day International (ODI) and Twenty20 International (T20I) representing South Africa and is the women’s team captain in all three forms (Test, ODI and T20I) since June 2016. She was the first bowler for South Africa to take 100 wickets in WODIs.
Dané van Niekerk Personal Life
Dane Van Niekerk is a South African cricketer who hails from Pretoria, South Africa. She is a handy all-rounder who bowls leg spin and bats in middle order. She is 26 years old and has been captaining the South African women’s cricket team since 2016, after Mignon Du Preez stepped down from captaincy.
She played domestically for Highveld Women and Northerns Women before becoming one of the first two South African females (along with Marizanne Kapp) to be included in the Eastern Province cricket team academy (men’s team).
Dané van Niekerk Career
In 2015, she took part of the inaugural season of the Australian Women’s Big Bash League playing for the Melbourne Renegades.
In April 2022, she was bought by the Oval Invincibles for the 2022 season of The Hundred.
In the inaugural season of the Women’s Premier League in 2023, van Niekerk was bought by Royal Challengers Bangalore at the price of 30 Lakhs.
She was selected as part of the South Africa national women’s cricket team for the 2009 Women’s Cricket World Cup in Australia, becoming a regular presence in the squad. She played in the 2013 Women’s Cricket World Cup, as well as representing South Africa at the Women’s World Twenty20 in 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016.
In December 2017, she was named as one of the players in the ICC Women’s ODI Team of the Year.
In March 2018, she was one of fourteen players to be awarded a national contract by Cricket South Africa ahead of the 2018–19 season. In October 2018, she was named as the captain of South Africa’s squad for the 2018 ICC Women’s World Twenty20 tournament in the West Indies. Ahead of the tournament, she was named as the star of the team and one of the players to watch. She was the joint-leading wicket-taker for South Africa in the tournament, with six dismissals in four matches.
In February 2019, during the first WODI against Sri Lanka Women, she scored her first century in a WODI match In the process, she also became the fourth cricketer for South Africa Women to score 2,000 runs in WODIs, and became the fourth woman to achieve the double of reaching 2,000 runs and taking 100 wickets in WODIs.
In August 2019, she was named the Women’s Cricketer of the Year at Cricket South Africa’s annual award ceremony. In January 2020, she was named as the captain of South Africa’s squad for the 2020 ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in Australia. On 23 July 2020, van Niekerk was named in South Africa’s 24-woman squad to begin training in Pretoria, ahead of their tour to England.
Batting & Fielding
Dané van Niekerk Family
Dané van Niekerk comes from a family that has a deep love and appreciation for cricket. She was born on May 14, 1993, in Pretoria, South Africa, and grew up in a cricket-loving household. Her father, Francois van Niekerk, was a former cricketer and played for Eastern Province and the Northern Transvaal B team. He also coached the Northerns cricket team in Pretoria.
Dané’s mother, San-Marie van Niekerk, was a keen cricket fan and played a vital role in Dané’s early cricketing development. Her brother, Divan van Niekerk, is also a talented cricketer who has represented Northerns at various levels.
Dané’s family has been incredibly supportive of her cricketing career, and they have been with her every step of the way. They have been a source of strength and inspiration for her, and she has often spoken about the role her family has played in her success.
Dané van Niekerk Husband
Dané is married to Marizanne Kapp, who is also a well-known cricketer and plays for the South African women’s cricket team. The couple got married in 2018 and have been together for several years. They have been praised for being trailblazers for LGBTQ+ representation in sports and have been vocal advocates for inclusion and diversity in cricket.
Dané van Niekerk Net Worth
As a cricketer, Dané’s has been making a name for herself in the Indian women’s cricket team. While her exact net worth is not publicly known, it is estimated that her annual salary from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is around 10 lakh rupees. Apart from this, she also earns from sponsorships and endorsements.
Dané van Niekerk Physical Stats
Here are some of her physical stats:
- Height: Dané van Niekerk is approximately 5 feet 7 inches (170 cm) tall.
- Weight: Her weight is approximately 60 kg (132 pounds).
- Build: She has a lean and athletic build, which is ideal for cricket.
- Hair Color: Dané van Niekerk has brown hair, which she usually ties up in a ponytail or bun during matches.
- Eye Color: Her eye color is brown.
Dané van Niekerk’s physical stats are indicative of her fitness and athleticism, which are crucial for a professional cricketer. She works hard to maintain her fitness and is known for her agility and quick reflexes on the field.
Dané van Niekerk Instagram Account
View this post on Instagram
Know Some Interesting Facts About Dané van Niekerk
- Dané van Niekerk made her debut for the South African women’s cricket team in 2009 at the age of 16.
- She is a leg spin bowler and is known for her ability to turn the ball sharply. She has taken over 100 wickets in One-Day Internationals, becoming the first South African woman to do so.
- In June 2016, Dané van Niekerk became the captain of the South African women’s cricket team, taking over from Mignon du Preez.
- Dané van Niekerk’s husband, Marizanne Kapp, is also a cricketer who plays for the South African women’s cricket team. They got married in 2018 and are considered to be a power couple in cricket.
- She is also a talented fielder and has taken some spectacular catches during her career.
- Dané van Niekerk is a big animal lover and has two pet dogs named Gatsby and Zeus. She often shares pictures of them on social media.
- In 2013, she became the first South African woman to take a hat-trick in a T20 International match, achieving the feat against West Indies.
- Apart from cricket, Dané van Niekerk is also interested in photography and enjoys taking pictures in her free time.
- She has won several awards and accolades during her career, including the South African Women’s Cricketer of the Year award in 2017 and 2019.
- Dané van Niekerk is a role model for many young girls in South Africa who aspire to play cricket at the highest level. She is known for her humility and hard work and is admired by fans and fellow cricketers alike.
|Name||Dané van Niekerk|
|Birthdate||May 14, 1993|
|Birthplace||Pretoria, South Africa|
|Height||Approximately 5 feet 7 inches (170 cm)|
|Weight||Approximately 60 kg (132 pounds)|
|Role||Leg spin bowler, middle-order batsman|
|Teams Played For||South Africa Women|
|Bowling Style||Leg spin|
|International Debut||August 2009 vs. Sri Lanka Women|
|Captaincy Record||Test, ODI and T20I captain since June 2016|
|Husband||Marizanne Kapp (South African cricketer)|