Alzarri Shaheim Joseph was born 20 November 1996 is an Antiguan cricketer who plays for the West Indies in Tests and ODIs. He plays for the Leeward Islands and the St Kitts and Nevis Patriots in West Indian domestic cricket.
He is an all-rounder who is a right-arm fast bowler and a right-handed batsman who was selected by the Mumbai Indians franchise as a replacement for Adam Milne for the 2019 Indian Premier League (IPL) season. In 2016, Joseph was named Antigua and Barbuda Sportsman of the Year award.
Alzarri Joseph Cricket Career
Joseph made his first-class debut for the Leewards during the 2014-15 Regional Four Day Competition. Against Guyana in the following season, he took his maiden five-wicket haul, 5/99, opening the bowling with Gavin Tonge. Against the Windward Islands, he took another five-wicket haul, 7/46.
In December 2015, Joseph was named in the West Indies squad for the 2016 Under-19 World Cup.
In October 2019, he was named in the Leeward Islands’ squad for the 2019–20 Regional Super50 tournament.
He was added to the West Indies Test squad for the series against India in July 2016. During the third match of the series on 9 August 2016, he made his Test debut. On 2 October 2016, he made his One-Day International (ODI) debut for the West Indies against Pakistan.
In October 2018, Cricket West Indies (CWI) awarded him a contract across all formats of cricket for the 2018–19 season.
Against New Zealand on 5 December 2020, Joseph scored 86 runs in the second innings of his maiden Test fifty.
In June 2022, Joseph was named in the West Indies’ Twenty20 International (T20I) squad for their series against Bangladesh. The following month, he was also named in the West Indies’ T20I squad, this time for their series against India. He made his T20I debut on 29 July 2022, for the West Indies against India.
He was selected to play for the Amsterdam Knights in the inaugural Euro T20 Slam cricket tournament in July 2019. However, the following month the tournament was cancelled.
He was released by the Mumbai Indians ahead of the 2020 IPL auction. In July 2020, he was named in the St Kitts & Nevis Patriots squad for the 2020 Caribbean Premier League.
He went unsold in the 2021 IPL auction. In February 2022, he was bought by the Gujarat Titans in the auction for the 2022 Indian Premier League tournament.
Batting & Fielding
Alzarri Joseph Family
Alzarri Joseph belongs to a Christian Family. His father, Alva Joseph, from an early age, used to take him to his club, The Leeward Islands Cricket Club, to practice cricket and play with the experienced and senior players. His mother, Late Sharon Joseph, was a football player for the Antigua State team and used to support and encourage him to follow cricket as a profession.
- He scored his career best of 7/49 when he was playing for his domestic team, St Kitts and Nevis Patriots, against Guyana in 2014.
- “Man of the Match” in the 2016 Under-19 World Cup match against Zimbabwe.
- Highest wicket-taker for the Under-19 West Indies Team. He took 13 wickets, which was the 3rd highest overall in the Under-19 World Cup.
- Bowled the fastest bowl in the 2016 Under-19 World Cup at 143 kmph.
- He claimed the record for the best bowling performance ever in the history of IPL with a figure of 6/12 in 2019. He was playing for the Mumbai Indians.
Alzarri Shaheim Joseph Instagram Account
View this post on Instagram
Some Interesting Facts About Alzarri Joseph
- Alzarri Joseph is a popular cricketer from Antigua in West Indies. He is a right arm fast bowler and had led the West Indies team to win the Under-19 Cricket World Cup in 2016, for which he was also awarded the Man of the Match trophy. He was selected in the 2019 Indian Premier League (IPL) under the Mumbai Indians franchise.
- He was good at bowling since he was a child. His father, Alva Joseph, member of the Leeward Islands Cricket Club, encouraged him to get into the sport and often used to take him to practice among experienced players.
- He took him to Taddy Arrindell, a senior player of the Leeward Club, who told Alva that his kid is a natural and Alzarri will grow tremendously in the sport if he began to bowl fast.
- Joseph gives credit of his success to Winston Benjamin, a former cricketer from West Indies, who taught him how to bowl and altered his bowling action, which made him patient and more focused while bowling.
|Full Name||Alzarri Shaheim Joseph|
|Famous For||Leading the West Indies team to win the Under-19 World Cup in 2016|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 193 cm|
in meters– 1.93 m
in feet inches– 6’ 4”
|International Debut||ODI– 2 October 2016 against Pakistan at UAE|
Test– 9 August 2016 against India at Saint Lucia
T20– 13 July 2016 against Barbados Tridents at Bridgetown
|Jersey Number||#18 (West Indies)|
#8 (IPL: Mumbai Indians)
|Domestic Team||• St Kitts and Nevis Patriots|
• Leewards Island Cricket Club
|Batting Style||Right Handed|
|Bowling Style||Right Arm Fast|
|Records (main ones)||• Fastest ball of the 2016 Under-19 World Cup at 143 kmph|
• Broke an 11-year-old record in the 2019 IPL by taking 6 wickets for 12 runs in 3.4 overs
|Awards, Honours||• Man of the Match in the 2016 Under-19 World Cup match against Zimbabwe|
• In a 2019 IPL match, he recorded the Best ever bowling figures in the History of IPL
|Date of Birth||20 November 1996|
|Age (as of 2022)||26 Years old|
|Birthplace||Antigua, West Indies|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|Hometown||Antigua, West Indies|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father – Alva Joseph|
Mother – Late Sharon Joseph
|Siblings||Brother – Younger (Name Not Known)|
Sister – None
Read Also – Rovman Powell (Cricketer) Biography